FAQs 2018-06-26T10:47:42+10:00

Frequently asked questions

Chelsea Emery and Associates take on the most complex matters however we are also committed to providing excellent representation for all matters even those considered relatively minor.
Please read our FAQs before contacting us unless it is an urgent matter.

How are your legal fees charged ? 2018-06-28T11:06:32+10:00

Whilst our focus is providing an exemplary service, Chelsea Emery and Associates will also provide clients with a clear outline of our fees. No further fees will be incurred without your approval. Although there are cases where a fixed fee structure is appropriate which is usually those proceeding through the Magistrates Court, there are many cases where tailored arrangements are necessary based on the particulars of that case. These arrangements will be discussed in detail with you and for these matters we are happy to discuss a payment plan.

Will I have a conviction recorded ? 2018-06-28T11:07:12+10:00

The practice of recording a conviction depends upon a number of matters. These include an accused criminal history, the nature of the present charge, the accused age and character and the impact that recording a conviction will have on the accused economic and social wellbeing or chances of employment. We recommend that you contact our office to discuss your individual circumstances.

What is bail ? 2018-06-28T11:07:53+10:00

Bail is an agreement between the accused and the Police or the accused and the courts to appear before the court when next required. Being granted bail allows an accused to be released from the custody of the courts or the Police until next required to appear before the court.

What will a solicitor do for me ? 2018-06-11T16:49:55+10:00

A solicitor is a specialist in the law who can advise you of your rights, explain any charges against you, explain your options, explain your prospects of success, attend upon the Police with you and represent you in court.

The Police have just called me, what should I do ? 2018-06-28T11:05:28+10:00

It is our advice that you obtain specialist legal advice prior to speaking with the Police. Should the Police contact you we recommend that you contact our office immediately to discuss your matter.

Do I have to speak with the Police ? 2018-06-11T16:51:14+10:00

Generally speaking you have a right to silence beyond providing your name and address. It is recommended that you contact our office before speaking with Police to discuss your rights.

What types of matters do Chelsea Emery & Associates deal with ? 2018-06-11T16:51:49+10:00

We deal with all criminal and traffic defence matters, Domestic Violence matters, regulatory body matters, QCAT disciplinary matters and local council prosecutions.

Can I pay my fine off in installments ? 2018-06-11T16:52:31+10:00

Generally speaking yes. Magistrates will usually refer fines to the State Penalties Enforcement Register (SPER) who is responsible for the collection of unpaid fines. SPER may be contacted to arrange payment in instalments suitable to your circumstances.

They are a very professional team, would highly recommend them to anyone. I’ve used Chelsea a couple of times and have always got great results. They communicate with you to inform you about everything which was great. I can’t praise them enough. One very happy client.